Monday, January 27, 2014

Thank you!!

I just want to say thank you to all of you who have commented on the blog.  Many of you have commented at work that you are reading my blog.  I am so excited to be an encouragement to you.  It has been fun to talk to you about your weight loss struggles and successes.  When I started this last week, it was a HUGE step for me.  I have thought about it for a couple of months and have also prayed about it.  The main reason I started it was to be able to journal my weight loss journey and for the accountability to myself.  If I'm writing it down, I will never go back to the way I was, right?!  It was also a huge step to "announce" it on Facebook.  I am not one who likes extra attention.  I figured I would announce it one time.  

I was thinking today that I wish there was a special "suit" that I could put on from time to time to make me remember how I felt 6 months ago.  Kind of like they do on The Biggest Loser when they make the contestants carry the amount of weight they have lost up to that point.  I need to remember where I was and how much better I feel now.  Six months ago, my legs hurt ALL of the time.  My feet killed me constantly.  I would be sitting watching TV in the evenings and my legs would go numb.  I can remember sitting at my desk at work and dreading having to stand up.  I literally had to push myself off on my desk.  I was miserable!  For the most part, all of those pains are gone!  I do struggle with low back pain but I am beginning to think that is just a part of me and also hereditary.  If I could afford to see my chiropractor once or twice a week, I would!  :) 

We attended a beautiful wedding in Nebraska this past June.  I was at my highest weight ever at that point.  I was miserable.  I was so embarrassed.  I can remember sitting at the reception and just wishing I could go to my hotel room and put my "comfy" clothes on.  Don't worry, I thoroughly enjoyed the wedding/reception.  They are a beautiful couple!  :)

Some "little" things that I have noticed after 56 pounds gone:

1.  I can easily pull the emergency brake release on my truck.  (I used to let out a huge grunt every time I had to reach down that far).

2.  I can cross my legs comfortably!  I know that is probably not helping my lower back pain but it sure feels good after not being able to do it for years!!

3.  I don't think about having to stand up from a sitting position.  I just do it!  (Some of you know exactly what I'm talking about).

4.  I sort of enjoy getting my picture taken.  Don't get me wrong, I don't love it and probably never will but I don't run the other direction like I did 6 months ago.

5.  I am much more confident.  I do NOT ever want to be over confident but I believe it is good to feel good about yourself and be able to present yourself to others in a confident and respectable way.
Does that make sense?

6.  Shopping for clothes is much more fun!


Well, that is all for today.  I'm off to make dinner, pick Julia up at school and get ready for another day!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cherry, your writing skills are excellent! Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Let's talk about the low back. First, try stretching the front as in the quads, hip flexors and inner thigh muscles. This will level the pelvis and relieve pressure on the hyperextended low spine. Second, consider the fascha...that is the white stuff that is like a hot dog casing for the body below the skin. There is an abundance of it in the low back and down the center of the buttocks. Unlike muscle where you stretch for a 10 count and that's it the fascha actually takes about 5 minutes to loosen up because it is so strong and tight. You can use a 'rolling pin' which is a round foam pad and are about $10-$50 depending on what you get. Then you can roll over that area for several minutes until you feel it loosen up. It can be a bit painful at first but it gets better. Try those 2 things and I think you'll see great results.

Kathryn said...

Cherry, this post made me get teary eyes. I'm so very, *very* happy for you and thankful that you are finding joy in this. I know it cannot be easy to make these choices every single day, but the rewards you are reaping will keep you going. Love ya!

Unknown said...

I just looked at the progression of your weight loss! It is amazing how sixty pounds gone makes you look. Keep it up!!! Love mom