Sunday, March 2, 2014

What got me started

I have been thinking about what made me start this journey.  Besides the obvious...pain when walking, feeling horrible all of the time, can't fit in to my clothes, etc.  On July 16, 2013, I drove to Newton, KS.  My twins had been with my in-laws for two weeks in Nebraska and Julia was going to be the next one to spend time there.  So, Julia and I left home around 7:00 am.  We stopped at McDonald's and got breakfast.  I don't remember getting anything too awful but I know I got a large Diet Dr. Pepper.  Got to stay awake, right?  About two hours later, we stopped for gas.  I got a little six pack of powdered sugar donuts and another soda.  Around 12:30, we met Herman and Marj at a Braums in Newton.  I had a double hamburger value meal (yes, another soda).  While I was eating, I got really dizzy.  I went to the restroom.  (I didn't tell anyone I was dizzy).  I came back feeling a little better.  We left the restaurant and started on our way home.  About 30 minutes into it, I got very dizzy again.  To be honest, I should have pulled off the road.  I should NOT have been driving.  I was putting mine, my kids and strangers lives at risk.  But, I don't admit defeat very easily so I kept going.  I ended up making it home just fine (8 hours later) and all was well. 

I realized during that drive what I was doing to myself.  I knew that the dizziness was from all of the sugar and carbs that I had eaten and drank in the morning.  What was I doing to myself?!?!  I knew, at that moment, that it had to change.  I was miserable, physically and emotionally!  I had already planned that I would go back to Weight Watchers but this day really sealed the deal.  I knew I had to do something or I was going to have a heart attack.  Two days later, I went to my Weight Watchers meeting and the rest is history. 

I have strived everyday since then to be healthy.  I have cut WAY back on the sodas.  I usually have two a week.  I'm ok with that.  I do not consume sweets and carbs like I used too.  Do I still struggle with wanting to eat that way?  Yes!  That is a big part of the reason I started this blog.  I wanted to be able to look back and see my changes and improvements and remember how far I have come.  I have learned so much through this process.  I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

No comments: